Building History

Not just a single edifice, St David’s comprises three significant buildings.  Set back from Glynburn Road at bus stop number 17 and framed by two shady trees, the original stone church, now the church hall, dates from 1887. The modern brick church, a hundred metres to the south on Glynburn Road, was built in 1963, while standing between these two we find the oldest building of them all, the current Church Office, erected as the Burnside Council Chambers in 1869.  St David’s Church is an outstanding example of Modernist church architecture of the 1960s in South Australia.

The towering white cross reaching up from the arc shaped roof of the building is an imposing symbol of the presence of Christ in the community and can be seen from near and far.  The spacious church building seats up to 300 people and is a fitting location for life events such as baptisms, weddings and funerals.  St David’s has a magnificent organ and offers a superb quality of church music, both in worship and in concert.  Our beautiful church is proud to house an artistic copper sculpture production, ‘Glad Tidings of Great Joy’, completed in 2012 as a series of 12 panels by local artist and parishioner, Pat Colley Brooks.

The current church  is listed with the National Trust and St. David's Parish Hall and the office building are State heritage listed.